Leota's Pickles

This recipe is a bit of a mystery to me. The title at the top of the card seems to read "Tumeric Pickles (Mom)" I know this must be a recipe from my maternal grandmother, Leota, because this looks like my mother's handwriting. However the word "Tumeric" is a challenge. You see, I believe it is meant to read "turmeric," but there is no turmeric in the recipe! Am I reading it wrong? Take a good look at the photograph and let me know in the comments what you think it might read. Any suggestions are welcome!


1 dozen large cucumbers
1 dozen onions
1 cup vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon celery
2 teaspoons mustard
2 tablespoons flour

Boil up and put in cucumbers (added: and onions)

Let simmer 20 minutes.

NOTE: I have a feeling the cucumbers and onions in this recipe are meant to be sliced prior to being added to the mixture. I am also sure the celery is actually celery seed, which can be purchased along with other spices -- same with the mustard.

Comments